From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 23:57:53 -0700
[Moderator's note: Gary forwarded several posts concerning the floods in
California.  The posts were from many people, mostly FML subscribers, who
are involved in ferret rescue efforts.  Most of this applies to many
animals, not just ferrets, but to the extent that ferrets are invloved here,
it's certainly appropriate for the FML.  (Of course, this is a serious
situation for all our animal friends, not just ferrets!)

I've combined the posts best as I could and cleaned them up some so it's
more or less readable.  BIG]

As you are all aware we have been in Disaster Response Status for
approximately two week for shelters in Oregon and Washington.  I am happy  to
report that at this time all is well with those shelters however;

DISASTER RESPONSE STATUS = RESPONDING IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA

To all FFDRI Watchers,  all Ferret Owners, Ferret Shelters, Ferret Halfwa y
Houses, and all who care about the welfare of animals.

There has been great flooding in the state of CALIFORNIA.  Many people have
been working this week on this problem.

As of today Saturday 1/11/97, 11 levees have broken  there is horrible
flooding.  2400+ animals have been affected.  many animals in the areas have
passed away.  Many thousands of animals are in need of foster homes, food,
medical care and supplies.  The animals range from Turkeys, to pigs, to
cattle, to horses, Dogs, cats, birds  and everywhere in between.  A staging
area (for the animals) was set up in Roseville, CA (at the fairgrounds last
week.  Another staging area was opened in Modesto, CA on Thursday.  The
destruction, stranded, and loss of animal lives is OVERWHELMING.

TODAY SATURDAY 1/11/97 Ferret people are physically responding.  Trucks
loaded with supplies will be driving to the sites today.  Ferret persons
that are included in this relief are: Marie Davis (CDFA), Hildy Linquest
(CDFA, I know I have spelled her name wrong I hope someone will correct that
please), Kevin (webmast of the CDFA webpage), Margaret Wilton (Golden State
Ferret Society), and Raven Littlewig.  These fantastic people have been
gathering supplies for ALL THE ANIMALS and will deliver them today.  We have
been notified that even have a full surgical kit going with them to be
donated to the on site Animal Hospital.

NOW IS THE TIME FOR US TO GET INTO THE ACT.

Later this evening or ealy tomorrow morning you will all receive a message
from CDFA (...) telling you of supplies that will still beneeded to help the
animals.  Marie, Hildy and teh others will be speaking to the on site
directors and getting a full view of what the situation is.  There will be
many things that will be needed for all the animals.  More animals will be
coming in to the staging area as levee's continue to break.

Please watch for the messages for CDFA1 and AGEDOG.  Pass the messages on to
all you can.  THE ANIMALS NEED US WE MUST HELP THEM.

To Marie:  I am sending this out just before you leave for the flood zones.
I am sure I speak for us all when I wish you God speed.  We will await your
status report

Chere McCoy
Ferret Friends Disaster Response International

From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 20:53:14 -0500 (EST)
Forwarding CDFA message just received.

Lets get those things out as soon as possible!!!  Also please note they are
expecting more rain

CA rescue centers for animals need blankets, old bedspreads, sleeping bags
(new and used) ASAP.............. we are now experiencing freezing on top of
the flooding so animals outside are very cold............

Also........... can you post to all CA people that the Roseville shelter
contacted me for volunteers today........ all previous volunteers panned out.
Animals still coming in at a rate of 70 per day............. phone answers,
vets, vet techs, vet students, dog walkers, animal feeders/caretakers, etc.

I and several others will spend the weekend there, but our regular jobs
preclude us from going up during the week (too far to commute 2-3 hrs each
way)..........

Coming from you this may have more impact........... you also might be able
to get a special edition of the FML out with Bill.........

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 00:53:39 -0500 (EST)
Today I got a message from CDFA1 (I had ask her for a word picture of what
she saw when her group arrived with supplies) so I am posting it in it's
entirity to all of you.  They still need supplies (see CDFA1 message from
Yesterday) Also I have received a message from Emergency Animal Rescue
service expressing gratitude for the delivery of supplies and offer of help
from CDFA1 and her crew.  They are very very very greatful for all the
supplies and donations the ''FERRET PEOPLE" are sending.

So here comes the message from CDFA1:
We skirted the devestation and came in on the NW side.  The flooding being
SE of the shelter.  None of us being 'lookie-loos' by nature wanted to go
through it.

Still we saw, many small animals on the side of the road, and lots and lots
of water.  Although I was impressed with 'how clean' everything appeared to
be.

Arrival at the gate was no problem and getting in was quite easy once we
told them we had donations.  On the way to the 'donating' area you see lots
and lots of people, some with badges identifying themselves as volunteers,
others in a line to come in to see if their beloved pet might be in one of
the areas.  And still others leaving with their 'friend' in hand.

I was given the 'royal' escort so to speak and shown the whole grounds.
Found out later that was not done for everyone, so thank you Chere for that.
They have converted a fair grounds with animal pens to dog kennels by using
chicken wire across the front and on top of the pens.  I expected a lot of
barking or howling, none comes to mind.  What I do remember is that the pens
were covered with blankets, took me a minute to figure out why......... to
keep out the cold.  I also found out that some of the volunteers sleep at
night in the pens with the dogs.  Why?  These dogs have been to Hell and
back.  They were left, through no fault of their loving owners, to fend for
themselves.  Many stayed on top of roofs, floating logs, etc for hours until
they could be rescued.  Cold, wet, scared, hungry.  The TLC they need is
special and EARS is seeing to it they get it.

I did not see the cat area, but know cats were there as I saw someone being
reunited with their baby.

The hospital was a blue tent in a seperate section and had several campers
with 'isolation' on the outside of them around it.  I am assuming these are
potentially or definately ill animals that needed to be kept from the main
group for health reasons.

Supplies were well organized under one of the open 'barns'.  And EVERYWHERE
someone is walking a dog............... or the dog is walking them.  Not so
much as a rough growl did I hear.

The 'main information' area is small and contains picture books of animals
that have been rescued for the possible owners to go through.  Then they are
taken to the location of the animal for a final "Yes, that's my baby!" This
area also contains something I had never imagined I would see in CA.
Computers online, and wrapped in blankets to keep them warm.  And oddly
enough signs on the computers telling people not to turn them off as they
needed to stay warm.

After my tour I asked about supplies, a call was made and I was given
directions to the 'phone bank' area where the supply list was on a white
marker board.  I happened to get there just as they were updating it.  I
cannot stress how helpful, and congenial everyone was.

Overall I would say 'well organized chaos' is a good description.  But it
seemed everyone knew what they were doing, and ALL had the one goal of
helping the critters out.

There is no change in the list tonight as well, although I may have a line
on the 2-way radios myself (my company sells them wholesale and I'm trying
to sweet talk the boss into donating some........ all he wants to know is
the range.  Terri is supposed to get back to me on that) No new levees have
broken in 48hrs, but the cold spell is a monster.  Supposed to be in the low
15-20's tonight.  Now to those in the Snow belts that is nothing, but
remember us.......... we're used to 50-60's around here right now.

Will send you more tomorrow.  Hope this is what you wanted.........
[CDFA]

From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 23:24:08 -0500 (EST)
Supplies needed change on a daily basis.  I have made arrangements to get
that list daily to repost it to all of you.

1. Number 1 needed item is money.  I know that sounds crass but facts are
   facts.  $$$ donations can be sent to UAN/EARS, PO Box 188890, Sacramento,
   CA 95818

2. NO CAT OR DOG food........ they are over stocked on that (and TP too)

3. Hand tools, hammers, pliers, screwdrivers, etc.  basic tools.

4. Heavy duty wire

5. Duct, masking and packing tape

6. Blanets, heavy warm sleeping material (to cover outdoor kennals and
   protect from the cold)

7. Resonably good quality 2 way radios

8. Portable CBs

9. New Sleeping bags

10. NON cat and dog foods, pig food, horse food, chicken feed, etc.

And my personal request that they be sent an "Job Well done" thank you card
from any of you who care to do so.  These people are extremely tired and yet
still manage not to be just civil, but almost happy in their presentation to
the rest of us.  No short tempers or attitudes noted on my part.

Levee breakage has backed off HOWEVER I woke to the sound of rain in my area
(about 3 hrs from flooded areas) this morning...... that does not bode well.

If you can get any of these supplies to these people they need to ship
overnight as if all goes well the shelter should close down by a week from
tomorrow.........

The address to send physical donations is:

EARS
C/O Placer County Fairgrounds
150 Corporation Yard Road
Roseville, CA 95618.

Look for an updated list this time tomorrow.........