From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 12:58:06 -0500
Hi all,

I knew I had to post anonymously on this one because I'm sure no matter
how I put it someone will get upset.  Please believe this is not my goal,
I truly am looking for rational and scientific dialog, not emotional

With that said, all the ferret literature out there on the internet labels
ferrets "clean natured" and "highly intelligent"... My reasons for
questioning this are:

Why would a "clean natured" animal trot through urine and track it all over
his cage when there is plenty of room to avoid this?  Doesn't sound clean
to me...

And as far as intelligence goes, one example that comes to mind in my case
is: After sevel days / weeks of using the litter pan faithfully, then
deciding to start the pattern of using the floor of the cage at night on a
regular basis.  Most of the time I can catch him right after he has done it
and punish him with time out or scruffing and shouting no!  but it's the
same routine over and over.  It seems to me an "intelligent" animal would
learn this is unacceptable after a few times...

Please understand I love my ferret greatly and understand the
responsibilites and tasks that go with ferret ownership and am prepared to
deal with it, I just disagree with the labels that are out there because I
see no evidence to support it.  I'd welcome any discussion concerning this,
but PLEASE exercise self-control before sending a flame or emotional
response... I truly want to learn from others experience and insight, and
am not interested in fighting with anyone.

Thanks for reading and considering...

Anonymous
[MO]