From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:48:09 -0500
Boy, if Bob ever right about old age related things in ferrets -- there are
things which just plain are the sorts of problems you see in any animal
(including us) who has gone beyond a natural life-span.

What we've found best for putting weight on an old ferret is careful
exercise.  Building muscles ups the appetite and it increases the lean
tissue percentage, adds stability to joints, and Meeteetse seems to have
less discomfort if she can exercise enough -- something we've noticed in
others here who have felt their ages.  Of course, some conditions do NOT
allow of a decent amount of exercise (been there with some), so it
depends on each individual according to our vet's assessment -- check
with your vet.

Like Bob we've had some times when steroids made a good short-term
difference in weight gain.  We've preferred Winstrol over Pred so far for
this when it can be used since Winstrol seems to help build muscle (instead
of deplete it) as well as up the appetite, but there may have been better
things come up with since the last time we had to use this.  Don't know.
Ask your vet.

In case it wasn't clear yesterday, the lovies we had here with
cardiomyopathy did eventually die from it, but they got between a decent
amount to a lot of extra time (partly due to all being found early enough
which isn't always possible so we got lucky) and it was mostly real quality
time thanks to careful testing and use of a number of meds (adjusted very
CAREFULLY as the disease worsened -- especially true with the Digoxin which
can be be very, very good when it is actually called for but very, very bad
if used at all carelessly).

Caity wrote:
>We all post when something is wrong (like my Avon's recent adrenal
>surgery), but we don't post when everything is just going along fine.
>It paints a skewed picture, doesn't it?

Yes, and it might not let us all learn from such individuals even though
they very possibly have important things to teach us all.  Know that Steve
and I like to learn from those who get longer lives or healthier lives with
their little loves.