From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:41:09 -0400
Katharine wrote:
>Isn't there a test for distemper? Bloodwork? Titers? Why not get a
>definitive diagnosis before euthanizing him?

For an overview of the types of tests and the shortcomings of each
scroll down in
<http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/canine-distemper.html>
to the appropriate section.

There is at least one better test now for canine distemper, PCR
(genetic IDing), but it is not at all widely available, though I will
tell where it can be done in a few lines. Other forms of Canine
Distemper testing historically have a range of associated deficiencies
unless there are viral inclusions present in blood cells.

Anyone interested can find info on getting better testing than standard
labs offer:
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/
which offers very specialized testing for a range of diseases. Some
of these can be less definitively tested for in other ways or can be
tested for down to the level of general category with other tests but
take the very specialized test to know specifically what disease is
present. It's really a gift to the ferret community that it is
available. Notice there:
> PCR, immunohistochemistry and serology for canine distemper

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html