From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:14:26 -0400
>From what I understand, the State has known of the illegal breeding
>operation, and tried to bring it within legal guidelines, for a couple
>of years now.  I only found out that the breeding operation was illegal
>last month myself, though ..  which is why I have never said anything
>before.  I notified a Metro board member at that time, but do not know
>if they were aware of this before ...
>
>[Moderator's note: Perhaps a board member of Metroferret can reply?  I
>may hold other posts on the subject until we get something offical from
>them.  BIG]

====================================

Thank you BIG for that courtesy.

For those of you who don't know Metro Ferret is a club for ferret lovers
in NJ/metropolitan NY area.  The club has been around since 1999.  We
are a small club, with much ambition.  Thanks to our founder, Tracy, the
club was started with the intention of helping area shelters, and for
education of the public on ferret ownership.

Tracy did some great work on ADV education and pamphlets and our
membership has grown since we started.  However, we are a small club,
we depend on our members to volunteer their time, and money to keep the
club going.  We do not do background checks, or check out every member.
Metro Ferret's only stipulation for sponsoring a shelter is that they
don't breed and meet some basic requirements, we have no stipulations
for our members.

As any organization, some of our members don't get along.  It becomes
a he said, she said battle and without further proof of any problems I
don't think that there is any need for anyone, including Ela, to worry.
If we receive the alleged letter we will look into that as well.  I have
no knowledge of any problems prior to Ela's allegations last month, it
is not for the club to investigate since the State is already involved
according to Ela.

Metro will continue to help the shelters we are supporting, to spend our
efforts on moving forward on the education of the public, and to help as
much as we can in getting rescue ferrets to local shelters and supporting
those shelters the best we can.

If anyone wants more information about Metro Ferret feel free to visit
our website at www.metroferret.com or to e-mail Kristeen or myself at
the below addys.

Patricia Kaczorowski
Vice President, NJ

Kristeen Kohrs
President

[Moderator's note: The "From:" address of this post may confuse people,
but I do understand with some authority the address is indeed associated
with Patty Kaczorowski.  BIG]