From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2009 14:25:00 -0700
First of all, a big "thank you" to all who emailed me directly with
your cares, concerns, positive thoughts, and suggestions about this
very odd and mysterious skin condition Charlie has developed. Yesterday
I took him back to the vet's office for a thorough skin biopsy (skin
samples were taken from 3 places), CBC panel, and new medication (that
will hopefully help manage the reddened, inflamed, flakey skin and
fungus-like growths on his paws and the splotchy, raw red patches
around his mouth). I have a very knowledgeable doc here - Dr. Cathy
Johnson-Delaney, and even she is perplexed but offered a few
suggestions of conditions it might be (which I cannot remember the
names of but needless to say they are *not* common illnesses). She
feels strongly that this is some type of auto-immune infection and
has ruled out canine distemper, pemphigus, and cutaneous lymphoma
based on all of the presenting symptoms. The biopsy tissues will be
sent to a ferret expert at NW Zoological (local) as a RUSH so I/we
will hopefully know something very soon.

In the meantime, Charlie's temporary "treatment" (management) will be
a combination of doxycycline (orally), children's benadryl (to manage
itching), Optomega 3-6-9 liquid (to boost immunes by providing
essential vitamins A, C, & E and omega fatty acids), pepcid a/c (to
keep tummy under control), topical vit A to encourage rash healing,
Healx soother ointment (topical) as anti-inflammatory and analgesic,
and neosporin on sutures where skin patches were taken for the biopsy.
WHEW!!!

I will certainly share the lab results once I receive them and if
anyone knows of a ferret suffering from a similar condition, PLEASE
contact me so we can share information and photos. I welcome anything
you can share and am also happy to share what I've learned so that
other ferrets can be properly treated. Hopefully we can put a name
on this mysterious "thing"!

Thank you again for the thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes. Charlie
remains in good spirits and is eating and drinking normally despite
the painful looking paws so that's a good sign! :-)

Jennifer & Sir Charles