From:
"Diane S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 16:54:23 -0500
>Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be going on with Banditt, he is
>about 4 months old and kind of on the chubby side.  This morning he was
>out playing and I noticed that half of his tummy is blue is this normal.

I went thru this with one of my six year-old ferrets.  The spleen is plum
in color and when it enlarges you can see the plum color thru the abdomen.
You do need to get him seen right away by the vet.  A swollen spleen can
enlarge very quickly, with our little Joey, it became huge in little time.
Enlarged spleens are serious and needs immediate attention.

Any time you notice anything out of the ordinary, its always an important
good rule to have it checked out right away by your vet for early diagnosis
and treatment.  Even if there are no other symptoms.

[P.S. sent later:]
im sorry, I failed to mention in my response, with an enlarged abdomen, the
ferret may become very enemic, look for a whitish nose and his ears maybe
as well.  The spleen has to do with his blood so have the vet do a full
blood check.

Our thoughts are with you, please keep us all posted.

DIANE