From:
Cecilia Hobbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:07:13 PST
>From:    "Michael R. Butz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Let us remember that even the most sweet and docile ferret can
>bite, hard, and for no apparent reason.  People with infants and small
>children should be aware of this, and take precautions....

Although I have been lurking on the side since signing up, the following
email caught my attention in a major way.  While I am very strong in animal
education and rescue I am also owned by ferrets, cats, dogs, horses,
hedgehogs, hamster, guinea pig, and birds.

I agree with the author about ferrets, no infant or small child should be
left with any animal without the supervision of an adult that is awake and
in full control of their faculties.  A beloved family pet (dog, cat, ferret,
etc.), can at a moment's notice inflict injury which can only be prevented
by a watchful adult.

Too many times in the past months I have watched horror stories unfolding
where an animal has attacked a child "with no apparent means of provocation
for the attack." Pets are not meant to be baby sitters.  Leaving an infant
or small child with any animal unsupervised is to me like placing your child
in the middle of the major city freeway to play during rush-hour traffic
(IMHO just plain stupid)!

Somewhere parents need to be reminded that pets are just that - pets. (I
just hate to see the bad rep ferrets get)

Hug your fur-kids
Cecilia