From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 20:03:39 -0400
I just got a mail about the Loving Ferrets (N.J) situation.  The case is
still pending so she has been allowed back into operation despite the
animal abuse case against her, the descriptions of the conditions of the
animals which were taken from her, the photos (which might not be presented
at the case if that motion is won), etc.  (Read back FMLs for details.),
plus I am told that she is advertising heavily.  Stranger and stranger...
I have not witnessed any of it myself, but have read what the receiving
state-approved shelter said and what was said by shelters which later took
in animals recovered enough for transfer, so am going from those posts.

Of course, that is one reason to NOT get health insurance for critters.
Our state is actually very good compared to most in relation to animal
laws, but even here... Think about sinking money into insurance, having
them decide that ferrets need practically no medical care, and then not
having any legal way to show that the dearth of care is wrong because of
non-existent or barely-there animal protection laws... Fun, huh?

Meeteetse will be having a fasting glucose tolerance test in hopes that her
problems are insulinoma, as well as having a CBC.  That old lady isn't the
best of surgical candidates so she'll probably be medically maintained
unless that doesn't work if it insulinoma.  She's 7 and 3/4.

Ashling looks and acts classically adrenal, but it came on very rapidly.
She doesn't smell cancerous so we are going to wait somewhere in the 4
to 8 week range to give the bad one time to get large enough to see.  Her
symptoms came on gang-busters.  Oh, along with her more aggressive
behaviors toward certain ferrets her exploration has increased and this
week she actually knocked down a ventilation deflector on an eight foot
high CEILING vent -- climbed to the top of the tall cage then jumped
straight up from that precarious perch.

Warp is doing wonderfully now; something we just didn't expect to have
happen, and she's just as happy as can be.