Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 15:16:27 +0000
I guess I just don't get why everyone has a problem with a breeder running a
shelter also.  It seems to me to be the only responsible thing to do if your
a breeder is to take in unwanted ferrets as well.  There is a problem if you
think breeders are in it for the money.  To be profitable you would need to
run an operation simular to that of MF.  I just can't see how a responsible
small scale breeder would be in it for the money after all the bills that
come along with breeding and keeping ferrets the money is almost all gone.
Yes I'm sure that some breeders do make a profit but the investment of time
to realize that profit could be used somewhere else to make a more
substantial profit.  Most breeders are in it to improve the species and this
isn't playing god but correcting the mistakes that man had done in the past
with breeding and domestication.  I hear a lot about breeding for color and
pattern but what many of you that knock breeders don't know is that is
really secondary.  Breeders try to breed out poor physical atributes.  How
can anyone argue with doing that.

Jeff the tactless Barbarian