From:
Kate Pappas Rainier Beach Public Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:04:45 -0800
Hi FML, just wanted to let Emmett Kelly's fans know that he's having
problems.

Saturday he collapsed, and I took him to the vet, and he was in such bad
shape that I had to leave him there (the vet took him home at night.  To his
house.  Where he lives.  I am not a doctor, I am not trained in ferret
mouth-to-mouth or CPR, and I don't have all the necessary medical knowledge
and equipment to care for a seriously-ill little fuzzbean.  So please
understand, okay?)

(I already had one person read me the riot act for leaving him.  The person
bullied and blustered and tried to make me feel guilty for abandoning my
sick baby to a stainless steel jail cell, and wanted me to go get him!  Had
I done what this alleged ferret-advocate suggested, my little pal might be
dead.  I do feel a little upset about this probably well-meant advice, but
decided the situation was too serious for me to handle alone, and did what I
thought was right.

So please don't suggest I don't love my ferret 'cause I left him at my
vet's.  I left my fuzzbean with my trusted, knowledgeable doctor because I
knew he'd be given the care, attention and love he needed.  I took him there
because I love my small friend and it hurt to see him so helpless and out of
it).

Emmett responded to care and came back to us.  On Sunday, he gave me
kisses-- quite a change from the way he was on Saturday.  And today he was
happy to be home and see his "dad."

We are waiting for the blood test results.  It may be insulinoma.  One or the
other of Em's vets will then have a consultation with me as to what to do.

Guys, I am still a little in shock!  One minute he was wrestling with his
dirty laundry, and pushing a cereal box across the floor with nose.  An hour
later he was totally out of it!

Please be thinking about this sweet little fellow.  Thank you all, and
special thanks to the Dragonlady with the two ferrets and the distinguished
cat, because she was there this weekend when I needed support!

Still a little dazed,

Kate (owned by Emmett Kelly)