From:
Lynn Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:05:26 -0400
I had to ask Joey to come out in the kitchen & keep an eye on the
kids for me so I could get the stuff done in here, like litter pans, &
cages, & then I could go out there & make their chicken.  Tommy's group
was out there & Grizzly, Phloxi & Ironhead are WILD!  They are here &
there & every where all at once.  The other 4 in that group are not so
bad.  I had to take Grizzly off the top of the parakeet cage, Phloxi out
of the kitchen garbage can, Ironhead knocked the top off the one I have
in the other room for the newspapers I take out of the bird cages every
day & he was inside of that one.  No wait a minute isn't that Phloxi on
top of the Amazon cage, thank goodness the big birds are outside for the
day.  Who is that climbing up the screen door?  And the minute I put them
on the floor they are off to get into something else.  Bright Eyes is
trying to get the whole food dish behind the refrigerator, (easier to
take the whole thing instead of just one piece at a time & having to go
back another foot to get more) Hey Grizzly is up on the table again!  So
someone has to be there to watch them.  I was in here finishing up with
the litter pans & fresh newspapers under them & cleaned out the water
dishes, one on the floor & one in the bathtub & I go out there & he said
he feels he is like a lifeguard, only he is guarding the beach from the
water.  Something like that, meaning that it is almost impossible to do.
I'll tell you the kids were wound up today it was all both of us could do
to watch them.  I'm trying to get the chicken ready for everyone &
keeping an eye on them & he is plucking them from here & there.  He said
that there must be houses with human kids like the ferrets running wild
getting into everything, I told him no, those kids would get killed!  Who
would put up with that?  My lower kitchen cupboards don't have door
handles on them, the ones on the floor level.  They had little knobs on
them & they would get caught in my blouses & rip them so I took them off
the doors.  Not that it matters much but the doors that do have the knobs
on them are tied together so the kids can't get them open.  The ones in
front of the sink & the ones on the island don't have the knobs so I have
big heavy buckets (25-30 lbs) in front of them.  One has baby bird
formula in it & the other has bird pellets in it & they are heavy.  Well
not for Ironhead.  He can push them out of his way & get into the
cupboards.  Joey saw Phloxi by a bucket that had been pushed away & she
started going in the cabinet & he mentioned that she backed out so there
wasn't anyone in there now.  Hmm, Phloxi backing out when she could go
in?  That isn't right.  I told him there was still one inside & sure
enough Ironhead was in there, in her way so she couldn't get in.  I'll
tell you by the time I get that group put back in their cage for the rest
of the day, I am worn out!  Just like guarding the beach from the water!
What a thought!

Lynn & Clan War Weasels

Note: No birds were harmed, small bird cages have small padlocks on
doors, large birds go outside every day.

PS: My son Richard is making a new front for my bottom cabinets & new
doors & he already bought magnet locks for them, which he btw doesn't
think will keep the kids out.  He said we might have to have 3 on each
door.  Is he getting to know ferrets or what?!