Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 20:34:17 -0700
Well, We have a very sick fuz head!  About a week ago he managed to get up
on the table and tear open a roll of life savers.  He ingested some of the
wrapper and some cherry lifesavers.  We gave him some laxatone and started
watching.  A couple hours later he started passing runny, RED, shiny poop.
We continued to watch until it seemed to have returned to normal.  Last
night when we came home from work he was lethargic, dehydrated, didn't want
to eat, shakey, and had a really cold nose.  So we tried baby food and he
ate a little.  Then we tried water in a people glass (BIG treat).  He drank
some like he hadn't seen water in days but then stopped, shook his head
violently and clawed at his mouth.  We thought maybe he had something stuck
in his throat.  We ran for the phone and we with the vet in 20 minutes (Very
Very good guy!  Trent Lancaster--Mages clinic in Ottawa, KS) He tried to
take temp.  No GO!!!  Then he did an exam, said he was dehydrated, and his
throat looked swollen and red.  Gizmo gave him and excellent fecal sample
all over the floor (runny and yellow green)Then he gave him as much Fluid in
an IV as possible.  Then a shot of antibiotic.  Then we gave pedialyte
throughout the night and he is back at the vet all day being watched.  The
vet thinks that maybe he scratched up his throat ingesting the lifesaver
tinfoil and now has a "secondary bacterial infection" in his throat and it
should be treated with antibiotics.  Does this sound right to you vets out
there.  It makes sense to me and He was looking better this morning But I
just wanted to kinda get a second opinion.  You can email here or privately
at [log in to unmask]

Thanks for any info!
Kimberly, Darin, Gizmo, Bentley, Abu, &April