From:
Heather Jane Bilicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 11:25:24 -0500
Here is how I learned the ferret truism that if you can't stop them from doing
some undesireable activity- at least make it safe!  In our ferrets' room there
is an old entertainment center with several low shelves that are easily
accessible by our mountain climbing furries.  (Whoever said that they were
supposed to be afraid of heights?)  On one shelf I had a portable stereo that I
thought was out of reach.  Pickle proved that I was wrong and the trial began
with trying to disuade him from climbing behind the stereo.  This was
especially important because he would often get his claws caught in the metal
speaker mesh. One day I just let him climb in there and left him alone while I
worked on the computer.  All of a sudden I heard this awful screaming and
looked to see Kit Kat trying to get behind the stereo.  At first I figured that
Pickle was fighting especially rough to protect his spot but I soon discovered
that she had a claw stuck.  I felt so bad and immediatley moved the stereo to a
higher shelf. Now the furries have a new little cave to play in.  Even Twinkie
can now climb up there.  They are happy and I am happy knowing that I don't
have to keep stopping to save the ferrets from their own curiosity.

Re: Dryer Hose
After a proper airing out.  (It was a new hose and smelled strongly of
plastic-BAD!)  I gave the ferrets their new toy.  They love it.  Never has
anything held their attention for more then a few minutes but they played
follow the leader and train wreck for over 15 minutes!  Now when play time
comes it is the first place they all run to.  It even inspired the dance of joy
from Pickle who is usually so laid back that nothing fazes him.

Ferrets are so much fun!
Heather
Durham, NC