From:
Karen Behenna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:47:08 -0800
Let me introduce myself.  I am Kurt Petersen, president of F.U.R.R.Y.,
the St. Louis ferret rescue.

There is a great deal of speculation on the airport tragedy.  F.U.R.R.Y
received a phone call from the St Louis airport police the morning of
the incident, February 7th.  They were hoping that we might provide
assistance with possible charges against at man they had detained for
killing his ferret.  "Wings", as I have chosen to call the ferret, was
approximately 6 months of age and had been smuggled in a cooler on the
1st leg of an American Airlines flight from New York to Phoenix via St
Louis.  Wings was discovered by flight personnel and the passenger was
not allowed to re-board his Phoenix-bound flight with him/her.  The only
airline that allows ferrets in the cabin is Delta Airlines.  Although
American Airlines offered to contact the Humane Society of Missouri, the
passenger refused.  He took Wings to an airport restroom, broke his/her
neck and flushed the body down the toilet.  Airport police detained him
and he was transported to the county police facility in Clayton, MO.  If
he had surrendered Wings to the HSM, Wings would have been turned over to
our shelter, as is the policy of the HSM.

I immediately spoke with our shelter's attorney, who advised that in the
state of Missouri animals are property and can be disposed of as the
owner wishes.  No charge other than animal abuse can be levied at this
individual.  At this point in time, we know that he was released
Saturday, February 8th, pending review of charges.  F.U.R.R.Y. has not
been privy to any 'insider' information.  It appears that a large part of
the problem lies with the airlines and their policies against ferrets.
Additionally, Missouri is 'backwards' concerning animal treatment.  Not
only is Missouri the #1 puppy mill breeder in the country, but see the
following web site for a sad story about a local dog:

http://www.pet-abuse.com/database/details.php?case_id=255&state=MO

Now you see what F.U.R.R.Y. is up against.

Sincerely,
Kurt Petersen