From:
April Armstrong Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:02:43 -0500
Of the 12ferrets I have had, 11 are rescues.  Nicodemus, our first
ferret, came from a Petco (I'm almost embarrassed to say that), but
that was before we knew there were so many ferrets in shelters, and
this particular Petco actually took great care of their animals, and
were very ferret-knowledgable in particular (almost all the employees
had ferrets)-this was actually where I learned about the FML and FHL,
from the Petco employees!  They also provided a copy of Dick Bossart's
ferret guide and recommended several great ferret websites and books.

I personally wish that no pet stores sold animals at all... But I would
hope the pet store kept its animals very clean, gave them appropriate
bedding, food, toys, privacy, and bothered to learn about the animals
they are selling, and be willing to tell customers when they don't know
something (huge pet peeve with stores that sell a ferret kit with one
distemper vaccine and tell people they're all set for vax till next year,
telling them its a girl when it's a boy, etc...).  Pet stores should
encourage people to learn more about prospective pets bfore bringing them
home, etc.  They should be willing to take animals to the vet as needed,
and to fight with their "suppliers" when there are problems; they should
be advocates for the animals, not just pushers of merchandise.

I am a vet tech and do a lot of private rescue, help out and work at
shelters, and find homes for ferrets that I can't take in myself, in
addition to doing what I can to get needy animals the medical care and
vaccines they need.

I don't know of any private breeders in my area (MA).

I almost discourage people whpo say things to me like "I'd love to get a
ferret" when I tell them that they are a lot of work and expensive.  Of
course I want people to adopt needy animals, but at the same time, I feel
it's my duty to make sure I impart as much as I can what a committment a
ferret is.  I am also quick to point out that they are great pets, the
best I have had, but they are not low-maintenance, etc...

Anyhoo!

Dooks,
April AC