From:
"Vicki L. Henderson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 00:59:20 -0400
I decided Sunday to make up another batch of Bob Church's chicken gravy,
my ferrets have been eating it for months, and I had run out.  Now, I am
getting to the point of hating making this gravy, so decided to do 3
chickens, would mean a while before having to do this again.  Took me 2
days of grinding to grind up all that chicken.  Because Buzz has
insulinoma, I have been sprinkling his gravy with ground up brewers yeast
with garlic.  Decided that all the ferrets could benefit from this brewers
yeast, so crushed up 15 tablets and put it in the gravy mix.  Mistake
number 1 was, I added it to the gravy while it was still hot.  The stuff
started to ferment.  Smelled a great deal, didn't know what was causing
this.  Put some, still warm, in freezer bags, some in freezer bowls.  It
was divided up, the freezer up here in the kitchen got half, the big
freezer in the basement got the other half.

Now, lets move to a couple hours later.  Teen daughter goes into freezer in
kitchen to get some ice, comes into the front room ranting that something
had blown up.  Followed her back into kitchen not knowing what she was
talking about.  She opens freezer door.  All over the inside of the freezer
there is frozen chicken gravy.  Duh, still couldn't figure out what
happened here<LOL>.  Cleaned up the mess, was in and on everything, but,
it being frozen was easy to clean up.  Thought I might have gotten ahold
of one of them exploding brazillian chickens that Limejello was talking
about<LOL>.  Took awhile to figure out that the brewers yeast did just
that, brewed, and by putting the containers while it was still brewing into
the freezers in air tight containers, they blew.  Still afraid to go look
in the basement freezer!<LOL>.  Well, Ginger decided to try some of this
chicken mix full strength, nothing worse than a ferret farting all
night!<LOL>.  What remains of the chicken mix is being mixed into the
ferrets duck soup, 1 teaspoon a day, any more than that and it would be
too strong<LOL>.  Guess next time I'll go back to sprinkling a little in
the chicken gravy before serving!
--
Vicki L. Henderson-aka-Ferret Fanatic
Buzz, Woody, Miss Tizzy, Ginger & General Kaos!