From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 20:09:19 -0400
Some of you may remember that some months ago I asked about dogs and ferrets
- many replied with encouraging experiences.  I have also read discouraging
ones and my vet has told me of numerous ferrets that have come into,or not
made it into the clinic that had been killed by dogs.  I did a lot of
research, thought about my needs in terms of breed, activity level, the
ferrets needs in terms of low prey drive etc.  I finally went for it and got
a dog from breed rescue to try out for two weeks.  Booker is a 7 yr old very
well behaved calm dog who is almost perfect.  I have had him for a week and
have had a stomach ache for the whole time.  I just can't get over the idea
that I'm placing the ferrets at risk.  Booker has been quite good so far,
not lunging or anything.  Really responds when he starts to follow them and
returns to me almost instantly.  However they seem to hate him - Giesela the
territorial alpha bitch - whoops sprite - with elephant ears seems to be
very stressed.  She stalks around him stopping frequently to be perfectly
still with this dazed look.  She bites his feet, lunges at his face, hisses
etc.  I try to switch them out but as soon as I uncrate him or let him in
she comes running.  Boris alternately bottle brushes his tail, sniffs around
and just generally disappears.  No ones playing anymore!  I really feel that
when you work all day you need to spend time with the animals - but there's
not enough time to cage and crate and swap all the time.  I need them to be
able to coexist when I'm home.  They all want, need and deserve my attention
when I'm home but with one person I'm having a tough time.  Booker is
especially a very loving clingy dog (which doesn't give the ferrets much
chance to hang around).  Right by my feet every second.  I'm so conflicted,
stressed and scared.  Actually Booker, considering he's in a new home seems
to be doing the best.  The ferrets and I are the ones totally out of whack.
I really felt that as a single person with a home with a big field in the
back I could give a needy dog a nice home and I would really like a dog.  If
I give Booker back I really don't think another dog would do better (not at
this point anyway) so I'll be forever dogless.  Plus at 7 I'm not sure they
can find another home for him and rescue was so wonderful and worked so
hard, even keeping him extra long till I came back from a long work trip.
Sorry this is so long but I am going nuts and needed to write it down and
send it to you all who have just always been such a wonderful group who
really care for your animals.

In tears and fear and have no idea how I'm going to make this decision
Mary, Giesela, Boris (what IS that thing?) and Booker (so far)