From:
Valerie Swyryn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 13:17:34 EST
Dear Ferret Owners,
I'm new to the group and I just wanted to say hello and say how happy I am
to see a forum for ferrets!

I have been a ferret owner/lover for 10 years now.  I've had many ferrets
over the years, with both the happiest times and a few heartaches thrown in.
I currently own two adorable (of course who has ever seen a really UGLY
ferret?  They're still loved!) males, Blaze & Wrecks.  Blaze is a Shetland,
Wrecks, a Sable.  They were, and still are, the biggest form of compromise
between my husband and I!  He never had a ferret, so this is a whole new
experience for him.  As you all know, ferrets run your life!  He likes them
and loves to play with them, but they just seem to know when they shouldn't
do something bad, and they do it right in front of him!  We all get in
trouble then!

One of the biggest problems we have is with Blaze.  He loves to dig!  He's
put holes in the carpet where he digs to get in/out of a closed door and he
digs in their hammock that hangs in their cage.  Obviously, the carpet is
the damaging habit, but the hammock thing is just plain annoying!  He loves
to do this in the middle of the night.  We now have to close the door to
their room at night.  We are about to get new carpet throughout the house.
The compromise now is, we'll get new carpet, but they will have to be
confined to the linoleum in the kitchen.  Does anyone have any suggestions
on how to break him of this bad habit?  Knowing these little hammerheads as
I do, I don't have high hopes of a solution!  My sister owns a pet shop and
I've managed it for a few years.  We sell MF ferrets, and another farm's in
the past.  We both have taken a strong interest in ferrets from the time we
got our very first one (Farrah Ferret).  I've had ferrets with health
problems in the past, so if I see anyone with a familiar problem posted,
I'll try to help.

Valerie Swyryn
Blaze "Digger Dan"
Wrecks "The Big Slug"