From:
Lana Garten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:01:19 EST
Debbie wrote "Poofing"
>Ok, how many times has your ferret poofed in 2 1/2 days?  Daisy is going
>on 4 times, me oh my our noses.  She is about 8 months old now.

Debbie!

There is hope !  We opted not to have our little Ruby descented.  We were
told (by people we trusted and respected) that ferrets' spray wasn't too
bad, didn't linger too long and that they only sprayed if afraid or
excited.  Up 'til Ruby was about 6 months old all was fine with our little
gem.  Then one day daddy made the mistake of playfully tossing her in the
air and catching her.  WOW ----- What was that smell !  Our little precious
had sprayed her first spray.  Again we were assured it's worst the first
time.  "More well aged."

So here came the month of sprays.  Ferrets only spray when afraid or
excited, right?  OK, you tell me how to keep a spoiled 6 month old ferret
from becoming EXCITED!  Every morning I got: "Hey, look, mom's up <Phhht>"
Worse yet, she'd sleep in a pile with our other 7 ferrets and if she was
having a real good dream.....you got it.......phhht.  They'd all smell!

Well, I was convinced I'd been lied to.  An evil ferret conspiracy.  Yes,
she sprayed A LOT, and yes, it smelled awful...every time.  Then I was
promised: "some ferrets go through a "spray phase", she'll grow out of it."
Yeah, sure.  Like I'd believe anything now that I was living with this
little stink bomb.

But I must say the "spray phase" seems to be over.  (Do I dare hope! <g>)
It only lasted about a month and we don't even have to be too afraid to
take her out in public anymore.  (But just to be safe, we still tell people
to think calm, quiet thoughts while holding Ruby!)