From:
Natalie Cornish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:40:43 -0500
>From:    Lisa Goggins <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I think it would be interesting for everyone to post what they think
>the downfalls of owning a ferret are.  People seem to make such quick
>decisions in owning ferrets and I think it would be very helpful to post
>problems/ downfalls in owning ferrets such as medical problems, habits,
>etc.  So please everyone post your thoughts!

Lisa, you bring up a very interesting and valid point.  Anyone wishes to
own ferrets should consider BOTH sides, both the downfalls and upside.

Downfalls I discovered as a new ferret owner:

* Ferrets want to play whenever you are busiest.
* Ferrets get sick when you have the least amount of money.
* There are many diseases that it seems as though almost all ferrets get
  at least one of in their lifetime.
* Ferret poop hardens into a cement-like substance that must be chiseled
  off of the floor.
* Ferrets, dispite claims of being able to be litter-box trained, are
  never 100% litter box poopers.
* Eventually, through many pleading looks and much cuteness, ferrets will
  convince you to let them have a whole room to themselves.  Not only do
  you then lose the storage space, or whatever else you were planning to
  do with said room, you must also then be clever enough to devise a door
  for the room that the ferrets can not climb over when you are not paying
  attention.
* Ferret math; Now, this may also be considered a positive of ferrets,
  but where there is one ferret, there should be two.  You wouldn't want
  the first one to be lonely while you are at work, right?  And where
  there are two ferrets, there should be three.  After all, what if
  something happens and one dies?  You wouldn't want the remaining ferret
  to die of grief because it misses it's pal.  And where there are three
  ferrets, there is a big cage.  That cage has room for a few more
  ferrets, doesn't it?  See what I mean?

Well, I hope that's what you were looking for. Have fun!

Natalie and the Furry snakes
At the Bridge: Mittens