From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 16:42:44 -0500
>Rocky has insul. and Chelsea has the adrenal tumors.  Rocky has
>urethritis, which he is now on Clavamox for.  Could this at all be related
>to the insulinoma, or is it separate?
>The vet has mentioned surgery for him more than once.  Has
>anyone gone through this with their ferret? ...
>One further note about Rocky--He is on prednisone (4mg per day).  One other
>person has thought that this was too high...

1. The urethritis is probably not related to the insulinoma.  The most
common cause I see for urethritis is a bacteria bladder infection.  Another
possiblity is bladder stones.  I would recommend a urinalysis plus/minus
pelvic x-ray.

2. Personally I have averaged 2-3 adrenal tumor surgeries a month over the
last 2 years. The charges I have seen on the FML, talked to other vets, etc.
run around $300 - 500. This would be considered a specialized surgery and a
veterinarian s investment in certain types of equipment (such as a good
incubator for post-operative recovery) is money well spent.

3. Most ferrets with insulinoma I see are started on 1 mg prednisone (such as
liquid Pedipred) per day. Some go as high as 2 mg/day. If more is needed (as
evidenced by recurring symptoms of weakness, etc.), I try to have the owners
start Progylcem (an expensive medication). Every case is unique!

>>VET QUESTIONS
>Should I have him vaccinated for feline distemper? ...
>Also, the vet didn't want a stool sample or anything...
>Lastly, can ferrets get heartworms or any other kinds of worms, and should
>they get heartworm pills?

1. There is no evidence that feline distemper (or panleukopenia in some
circles) is contagious to ferrets.  Present knowledge does not warrant
vaccinations against feline distemper.  Feline distemper is TOTALLY
different to canine distemper.

2.  Most ferrets are not stool eaters.  Since most intestinal parasites are
contracted from a fecal/oral route, I do not see many intestinal parasites.
I recommend a fecal exam if the ferret has diarrhea (if chronic, possible
giardia?) or every two to three years as part of a general health profile.
Other vetes might have different recommendations due to local conditions
(Southern U.S.  has a higher incidence of worms as opposed to New
Hampshire).

3.  Yes, ferrets can get heartworm but they are not a normal host like the
dog.  A lot is not known about heartworm in ferrets.  If the owner desires,
the monthly chewable heartgard can be used at the dog dose.  I typically use
1/3 of a 68 mcg chewable.  This is not without possible problems such as
unequal distribution of the active ingredient in the chewable base.  Some
vets test for heartworm (usually the CITE or SNAP from IDEXX since it can
possibly test for the 1 or 2 heartworms that ferrets get.).  Other vets feel
that there is no reliable test for ferret heartworm and why go to the
expense and slight risk of sedation or anesthesia to get a blood sample.

>This ferret has been losing hair for at least three months, has thin fur
>all over her body, and has a bald spot about as big as a dime on her
>head...

1.  Thin fur/ bald spots on ferrets makes me think of adrenal tumor.  There
are numerous other possibilities (mange, allergy, etc.).  Get a vet to look
at this one.  Check out the FAQ on adrenal tumors.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH