From:
Meesh Meesh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:53:27 PDT
Hi,
I had a question regarding some vulvar changes in a female ferret of mine
who I'm sure (due to her alopecia) has adrenal disease.  I am wondering if
these changes might be related to adrenocorticism and if anyone else has
seen the same thing.

Basically, a few months ago she presented with two areas on her vulva (on
the inside) that looked like pencil lead (the tip of pencil) broken off and
stuck under the skin.  They were protruding in a way that made them visible
(they are under the skin on the inside of her labia) and there was a third
area that looked more like cottage cheese.  They vet was concerned about
the white stuff, treated her with antibiotics and that area subsequently
disappeared.  The other two areas are still present and haven't changed
much.  He said he thought they were the equivalent of blackheads but
whether they are or aren't, I wonder if anyone else has seen this in
association with hyperadrenocorticism.  Her vulva has never been swollen
aside from these two areas.

I also had a couple of other skin related questions.  I noticed recently
people discussing areas of their ferrets that looked like crusted drops of
blood.  I admit to skimming the posts rather quickly.  I am wondering if
those are what I have seen on two areas of my eldest male, Bugsy.  He has
two areas about the size of a pinky nail that first presented as totally
black crusty bloody scabs.  Underneath was a raised, ulcerated-looking
area.  They appeared to heal over but remain enlarged and every once in
while I find crusts of blood on them again.  My vet said he thought they
were plugged up sebaceous glands and not to worry.  I am currently looking
for second opinion just to be sure since they are awfully ugly to be the
equivalent of pimples.  The ulceration part concerns me (might be his
picking at them or might be something else).  Let me know if this is indeed
similar to what you have been describing and perhaps what vets have told
you.

The third skin lesion I just noticed yesterday and haven't been to the vet
about yet, but thought I'd just add it in once I was writing.  I actually
saw this a few months ago and thought it was simply a buise..more like what
we called a 'blood blister' as kids: a large red area under the very most
superficial layers of the skin.  I simply assumed it was a bruise and that
my boys had had a scrap in their cage while I was out one day.  I am not
sure if it has been around this entire time or if it just came back but
it's here again (just smaller than the size of a quarter right now).  I
also noticed what looks like a small skin tag at the very center.  If it
turns out to be anything 'interesting' I'll post back to the FML.  I just
thought I'd see if it sounded familiar to anyone. :)

I also want to give my thanks to all who have emailed me over my recent
loss (Spikey) and to send my most heartfelt condolences to those who have
lost loved ones recently, fuzzy or not.  This list is indeed wonderful in
being able to share the joys, and sadly, pains of having been blessed with
sharing the lives of some of the most incredible friends and companions a
person could ever have.

Michaela Maurice
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ohio State University