From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:33:51 EDT
Fuzztek Shelter in NJ has come up with a pretty successful way of keeping
from getting "overcrowded".  We evaluate each call for a turn-in.  Those
who are "fixin ' to have a baby", "kids are bored with them", "daughter
suddenly developed an allergy to the ferrets we have had for 6 years...",
"moving and don't want to take them to the new house", etc.  we tell we are
full, and put on a waiting list for either intake or referral.  We also
tell them that the list generally is a six month or longer wait (which is
true), and that meanwhile they should contact friends, neighbors,
co-workers as potential adopters, and ask them to ask their contacts as
well to see if someone would like a pet ferret.  We also strongly suggest
that the ferret see a vet and become current on vaccinations, as "they are
more adoptable that way".  We offer to screen ptential adopters for them,
and tell them to feel free to give our name and number as a source of info
to the new owner.  In spot checking back a month later, we have found that
90% of them have found good homes with other people, and in some cases when
we have followed up with these adopters, we have been able to offer advice
such as vet referrals, feeding help and general care and maintainence.  It
really seems to be a win-win situation for everyone.  Another 9% have
generally decided to keep the ferrets after all.

Of course we never refuse referrals from animal control, SPCA and such, nor
will we refuse "I found a ferret in my yard and it's in a cardboard box in
my garage" or "my father will drown them if they aren't out of the house
today" type of calls.  We also will always make room for a ferret if we
feel that the animal is in grave danger of starvation or other serious
health risk, and hardship cases such as death or serious illness of the
primary caretaker, homelessness, etc.  In cases of serious illness of
primary caretaker we generally offer free or almost free boarding until
the owner will be able to care for them again if there is a realistic
chance of this happening.

We feel that by being selective we are able to remain open for the ferrets
who are truly in need of placement, without running up such high bills that
we must either close down to any new ferrets or give substandard care to
our charges.

Of course it might not work for everyone, but I would suggst that this
policy or a version thereof might be looked at by other shelters.

By the way, if there are any shelters with waiting lists, we have about a
dozen super great, very healthy, fully vaccinated 1-3 year olds that are
looking for homes that we would like to talk to you about!

Also, please keep in your prayers Kodo, one of our shelter ferrets who has
lived 7 months longer than the vets expected, and is getting ready to cross
the bridge.  While the passing is inevitable, I am hoping for a peaceful
crossing.

-Anne Ryan