From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 20:22:12 -0700
Although I am sure that the original premise of the "Do Not Adopt" group
was one of good intention, I think the role of maintaining a database
containing names of individuals not permitted to adopt needs to be
fulfilled by local Humane Societies.  With Humane Societies heading in
the direction of maintaining a central registry, the future promises the
possibility that individuals found guilty of inhumane animal practices,
by law, can and will be prevented from adopting regardless of where they
move within North America.  Ideally, but probably not for a long time
coming, these registries may even span between continents.

To best benefit the animals in your shelter, I would suggest developing a
good relationship with your local Humane Society.  Once they realize your
dedication to the animals in your care, and animal welfare in general,
they may be willing to search their files upon your request for the name
of a particular adopter that you are suspicious of, or have genuine
concerns about.  Once a trusting relationship has been developed between
your shelter and the Humane Society, they may also be willing to add the
names to their files of individuals that you have encountered and can
prove are not suitable pet owners.  An example of this may be where you
take in an animal that is in extremely poor health condition or that has
been subjected to starvation.  If you have a contract from the person
signing ownership of the animal over to you or a shelter that clearly
states that a) they are the owner, and b) the amount of time they had
this animal in their care, in conjunction with a report from your
veterinarian stating that the animal was neglected or abused, and that
the animal's condition was preventable, then this can provide the Humane
Society with a red flag if this individual were to attempt adopting from
their shelter, or even provide them with enough evidence to prevent
adoption altogether.

Even some of the pet stores in my area maintain a list of individuals
not permitted to purchase animals from their stores, and are willing to
accept names that our local shelter provides based on valid concerns and
obvious cases of neglect, cruelty, or abuse.

While it is unethical to wrongfully place someone's name on such a list
because of personal reasons, or for inhumane animal practices that they
could not be convicted for by law, it is also unethical to wrongfully
accuse someone of being the accuser.  Bob Church was mentioning that
people in this country are innocent until proven guilty.  This goes for
those standing accused as well as those being accused of accusing!  Now
that is a mouthful!

From lurking on this mailing list for several years now, it sounds like
many of you have been operating shelters for quite some time.  Perhaps
the best idea for now is to go with your gut when deciding who are
suitable adopters for your ferrets.

[JH]