From:
"Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:03:44 EST
>I have been told that ferrets have no different blood types?  For future
>reference, does anyone have any experience with blood transfers?  We don't
>see many ferrets so finding blood donors might be a problem.  Is there
>some kind of national ferret blood bank?  Has anyone had oxyhemoglobin
>used instead of whole blood?  Did it work as well?  ... Beth

Hi Beth

I'm sorry to hear that the little guy didn't make it, and that the client
declined the autopsy - I have learned so much, and so has my vet.

As far as I know, ferrets only have one blood type - I don't know if there
are any ferret blood banks - the last time I offered to have some of my
boys give blood to keep on hand, the vet said they didn't have that great
a need for it, and it would probably have to be thrown out.

I have one ferret, Misha, who saved one ferret with his blood, and donated
a second time, but sadly, the ferret died despite the transfusion.  Both
ferrets were suffering from flea anemia.

It might be a good idea for folks who have large males to let the vets know
that in a case of needing a transfusion, that their ferrets are available.
It could help save a ferret.

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854