From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 12:39:57 -0500
Hi Folks,

>ADV testing RECOMMENDED, but NOT required.
>
>If an organization like the AFA isn't taking ADV precautions

The AFA *does* take ADV precautions seriously.  Chris Palaski, AFA Health
Affairs Chair, is very passionate about ADV.  Please remember that it was
the Planned Ferrethood AFA sanctioned show in Monroeville, PA (June of
2001) that was the *first* ferret show to require ADV testing (Chris and
Tara are the shelter directors of Planned Ferrethood, PFRA of Westmoreland
County).  Chris spearheaded the AFA ADV policy that became official later
that year.

The contract for the Tri-State show was signed prior to the AFA ADV policy
being put into affect for AFA shows.  They were highly encouraged to
follow the policy, but Tri-State chose *not* to require ADV testing.

What they are planning on doing is to judge the tested ferrets first, then
judge the untested ferrets second.  This is similar to what the groups in
England are/were doing at their ferret shows.

>AFA show in Oregon this summer, but now I am going to seriously rethink
>my trip.  I am also really disappointed that such high caliber persons
>are participating in a function and not requiring (demanding?) ADV
>testing be mandatory.

Since the AFA ADV policy was put into effect last November, all AFA
sponsored or sanctioned events from then on will require ADV testing.
This was the ONLY show that was "grand fathered" since their contract was
signed prior to that date.  The AFA shows in Washington and Oregon do
require ADV testing, as will all other AFA shows.

Remember, just because all the ferrets have been tested does not mean that
you can relax at a show.  The test is only as good as the date it was
done, so other precautions should always be taken: do not let your ferret
run on the floor, do not let your ferret interact with other unknown
ferrets, do not let strangers touch your ferrets without disinfecting
with a parvocide first (or do not let anyone but the judges touch your
ferrets), do not put your ferrets into "public" playpens, do not touch
other people's ferrets, etc.

ADV is not the only contagion to worry about at events where other ferrets
are present, so be careful and protect your ferrets.

If anyone has any questions about the AFA ADV policy, please feel free to
email me.  Thank you!

Mary McCarty-Houser
Vice President, American Ferret Assn
www.ferret.org