From:
Darla Sharp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 16:15:59 -0700
Hello All,

I posted over a year ago when I rescued a fuzzy, The Napper, and needed help
in understanding basics of fuzzy care.

I have been reading/lurking ever since.  In reading the recent posts
regarding the person wanting to know how to get a ferret in CA and the
CDFA1's responses, I was reminded of my own experiences over the last year
and thought I would share.

First of all, I have to tell you that Napper died about 2 months ago.  His
necropsy showed an impacted hairball.  Although I drove up the limit on my
visa, an xray was not one of the items that helped to do so.  As he was a
rescue, I almost posted when he died to tell you all about being sure to
include a routine xray in your health check when you get a rescue - who is
to know what the animal's care is before he/she comes to you?  However, I
was unable to finish the post because I just could not get it right at the
time.  (I had some anger with my vet among other issues.)

Somehow or another, I am involved in the legalization process.  When I first
wanted to get a ferret and found out about the legality, etc., my full
intent was to wait until they were legal.  I am not the type to get involved
in political campaigns, etc., I just don't have the time to do anything
besides make the occasional phone call, sign on the petition's dotted line,
or if very pressed, write a letter to a Senator (which I did, many, in fact
for SB55).  In fact, I am so over committed (I have 2 kids, 2 dogs, bird, 3
cats, 1 husband) with fulltime work and school age children type commitments
that I am definitely one of those who is glad to see others taking on the
battle, but thank you leave me out.  Ha.

I made up my mind to wait until they were legal, and that decision was based
on what I felt to be of overwhelming import: The Fuzzy CAN be confiscated
and CAN be possibly euthanized!  (Okay, maybe not often in my neck of the
woods, but other places it DOES happen.) I weighed the issue, did I want the
guilt on my head?  No!  However, no sooner had I made up my mind and moved
on (yes I wrote a few letters and then that was it) than I was put in touch,
by someone who knew of my interest in ferrets, with a rescue situation.

Anyway, cut to the present, my ferret is deceased and I am somehow the
Chapter head for Santa Barbara, (Ferrets Anonymous) huh???  Granted, I am
not doing the best job, but we got a GREAT article in the Santa Barbara News
Press (owned by the Times) and they published my long letter to the editor
as a featured Voice From Santa Barbara.  Wow, what a pay-off!  The article
and letter helped educate scads of folks here in the town.  yahoo.  I have
been getting lots of phone calls, and working at the University has the
added benefit of exposing lots of different people to the issue.

What I am trying to say is that sometimes even if you don't want to get
involved with an issue, the issue just won't let go its hold on you.  If
someone had ever told me that I would be making phone calls to the
governor's office and writing letters about the legal status of the domestic
ferret, I would have thought, yeah, right, that will be when I have
completely lost my mind!  It has been an amazing experience for me all in
all, and while I will be glad to give over once the DFG gets off their butt
and rights this wrong, I have been enlightened by the whole process.  I will
*not* be looking for another political project after this - no way!

Just wanted to share some of my own experience and also to say that IMHO,
anyone that can easily disregard the potential threat to a fuzzies life when
kept in CA, really may be a person who regards companion animals as
disposables, and I have to feel mightily on the side of CDFA1 by not wishing
to see that person get the goods on how to obtain a fuzzy!  (Hey, I don't
even have a ferret so how can I be on the moral highground?!) :) I will
remind *potential* CA fuzzy owners too that potential euthanasia is only
part of the picture --- there is an instance in appeals right now of a woman
whose fuzzy was confiscated, *not* euthanized, but BOARDED by a shelter and
is now being CHARGED for that boarding to the tune of over $4K!!!!!  So, if
you care not for the critter's sake, have a thought to your wallet!  :)

Wow, this got long!

Cheers!

P.S.  Neither Ferrets Anonymous nor the CDFA can tell anyone how to get a
ferret - goes against both charters.  And really, it will be best to get a
ferret when it is legal to do so.  Sure it's been a long battle (and not
over yet) but victory will be sweet.

Another P.S. LOVED the irony of the Rachel Lamb deal and