From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:06:04 -0700
Dear All,
So many folks have said to me that they couldn't do what I do, because
they would hurt or kill someone. I do my best to always stay composed
and just get the ferret, and pursue what's needed.

Last Saturday I was tested. I agreed to a surrender from an 18 yr old
woman, who just didn't have time for this 1.5 yr old ferret. The
surrender was ceremonial, with the entire family coming to Rocky's.

I so didn't expect what was given to me. This precious sable boy was
on his side, and black tar oozing from his rectum, with his eyeballs
sunken into his head...with just a slight glimmer of hope. Where
there is life, there is hope.........oh so much hope was needed!

"He was fine yesterday. I took him for a walk. Maybe he ate some
grass". She said to me.

This precious boy weighed in at 10 ounces. He should be at about
2.5 lbs.

I could hardly hold back my tears and my anger. I asked what was fed,
and it was Walmart Boxed 8 n 1. I asked if he'd eaten any bedding, and
yes he had, his entire hammock was in shreds she said. I was palping
him all the while I was asking questions and felt a blockage. Gritting
my teeth, I took her hand and placed her fingers on what I felt, and
let her know that we had a dying ferret from a blockage and him being
starved. This baby was crying and wincing with every touch I gave.

Here's where I wanted to bitch slap her, and just scream. I just shook
my head and asked them to leave, leave now....I had to get busy. I had
no vet or clinic to take him to.

He was grossly dehydrated. I did a sub q line, and put 60cc in, which
disappered within 15 minutes. I started him on Baytril and Albon, and
then approached the blockage, giving him Mineral Oil with a splash of
Ferretone.

I started him on 0.5 mg of Omeprazole and doses of Carafate. He was
so bad, I couldn't risk a pain med initially, for fear of losing his
cooperation in other attempts to save him.

I thank God for my visit at Ferretstock by April of Totally Ferret.
She'd armed me with what I would need, and that was their new product
of "Complete Care for Ferrets". It makes a great soup. Once he tasted
it, his little tongue reached out for more. I had to take it easy and
give small feedings, many times over the next several hours.

Within 8 hrs he'd passed all the fabric, and was giving me good stools.
The black tarry had stopped!!!!! I did another 30cc sub q, which is
max, without dilluting the blood too much...which he little of.

This baby boy is on the mend, and is gaining weight. I've never been
so happy to see a little Budha Belly in my life!!!!!!!!! Vet exam went
well, he's on the mend. I have all the faith and hope that he's going
to thrive!!!

What is his name? Can you help me here?

Affectionately,
Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs for Rocky's
www.rockysferrets.com

OKTOBERFEST - A HAPPENING - OCTOBER 18th!