Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2011 03:40:31 -0400
I've only been an 'official' rescue this year, though I've been doing
rescue work for a number of years. I post my ferrets on PetFinder, like
most everyone. The way I adopt out nearly all my ferrets is through
Craigslist. I post on Craigslist each single, pair or set of ferrets
for adoption or in need of a foster home and get a lot of responses.
Yes, it takes time to get through the responses and weed out the
people, but I do get adoptions and donations this way. I have adopted
out five in the last six weeks from Craigslist postings. They would
still be here if I hadn't posted them. More important to me, I am able
to educate people along the way and explain why a ferret may not be the
best thing for them or what they would have to do different to make it
an acceptable household.

I also post on Craigslist offering ferret advice, to trim ferret
nails in my home for free and requesting donations of supplies. I get
numerous responses, and emails asking about adoptable ferrets. I answer
questions, send my ferret information emails and offer to check out the
ferret. This gives me a chance to see if the ferret is being cared for
properly and to point out any obvious medical ailments. There have been
occasions when I have talked the person into leaving the ferret with
the shelter because of its condition, so one more life saved. More
often than not, the people are ecstatic to be shown more about their
ferret. I've received donations of pee pads, carriers, cages, food,
tubes, food dishes, cleaning supplies, and more.

When someone brings their ferret to my home, I immediately treat for
ear mites. The ferret stays in my foyer downstairs and I show the
person how to trim nails, clean ears, check teeth and check overall
health. Then I bring the person upstairs to show them different
ailments on ferrets I have, like adrenal disease, lymphoma, and sores
from carcenoma. If they aren't feeding a good quality food, I send home
samples of some of what I have. (Wysong will provide free samples for
you to give out to people.) I also show them the different things I
have set up for stimulation to give them ideas, and I show them
supplies I have for sale like bedding and tubes. Nearly everyone that
comes for me to check out their ferret ends up buying something or
making a donation.

Just wanted to share. We can all use all the help we can get.
Debbie,
Kindness Matters Ferret Rescue