From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 01:02:22 -0600
I'm amazed at the amount of mail a single "I might have a problem" post
generates.  Thanks all for the thoughtful letters concerning Crystal.  I
now have the "good-news/bad news" message.

Went to the vet (good news).  Spent $50 (bad news).  Vet did ultrasound,
extremely nitpicky exam, and blood work (good news).  Spend another $100
(bad news).  Yep, Crystal was in heat, itiology unknown (Good News) Vet
noticed a strange swelling in pelvic region (Bad news).  Suspected swelling
as a ....uterus!  (Not sure if good or bad news) Records search from Oregon
came in (Good News) Crystal had, ahem, slipped through the cracks and had,
can I say it?, never been spayed (Good and Bad News).

The upshot is that I now have a lovely female in heat, who has spent
considerable time in the company of a non-neutered male.  I feel there is a
lesson to be learned here, but I'm not sure what it is yet.  After hours on
the phone to several friends and vets, we have decided to allow Chrys (the
boy-dude) to bring Crystal (the girl-dudette) out of heat, which has
probably already been done.  If she comes out of heat and is not with kit,
she will be spayed.  If the belly grows, well, I'll be a granddad before my
time.  Part of the reasoning here is that Crystal is easily stressed, and we
chose to that the least stressful approach.

Now, before anyone who knows where Crystal came from starts saying nasty
things about them, please don't!  I was there when these wonderful people
were taking in lots of retired breeders, saving them from permanent
retirement if you get the drift, and Crystal simply slipped through the
cracks.  It was a simple mistake with no malace intended, and could have
happed to any of us.  They are really good people, and do not deserve to be
flamed over this.

In other matters, it has come to my attention that many parts of the USA are
in a ferret glut and others are in a ferret vaccuum.  I understand that The
Oregon Ferret Shelter has just gone over the 100 ferret mark, with more due
to come in soon.  You can get the number from the operator (They are in
Oregon City, Oregon), or you can e-mail me and I will give you their number.
David and Christine Mathis house the shelter in their garage, laundry room,
kitchen, dining room, and front room, and whatever space is necessary, and
do a great job with help from a number of dedicated volunteers.  Contact
them if you want to donate, adopt, or ship one of those lovely ferts to a
loved one instead of the annual dried out fruit cake.  Take it from me,
adoption is the best Christmas present you can give yourself!

Mo' Bob and 16 Wide-eyed Weasels, 1 Smug Sable, and 1 Crack slipper
(Missing Gus)

"Honest Dad, I didn't know the gun was loaded...."