Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:16:31 -0400
I know it was a stupid question (about whether ferrets have saliva), but I
wonder if perhaps the person who asked it meant it seriously?  Perhaps the
person who asked it was thinking about raccoons (perhaps thinking that they
might be related to ferrets) and the way they tend/need to dip their food
in water before eating.  So, they thought perhaps ferrets needed to do
this, too, and were trying to ask if ferrets do the same thing.  Heck, my
doctor asked me once (while watching one of my ferrets frolic around the
room) whether ferrets have bones ... which I thought an odd question at
the time.

I remember how my high school teachers always used to say that "there is
no such thing as a dumb question".  Honestly, since I started teaching
(soapmaking) classes, though, I have *not* found that to be true.  I've
heard some very odd (and very earnest) questions, including whether soap
can be used as a candle if you add a wick "because they look so similar".

Now, I just treat every question - even the REALLY bizarre ones - as a
"real" question unless the person asking it is VERY obviously kidding.
So, my first reaction when I read the ferret saliva question was to wonder
if that person might have been serious, too ...

- Ela

   (000)___(000)        Ela Heyn
   ======@======    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5483