From:
Laura Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 18:01:46 -0400
Today I received a letter, dated 6/14/96, from the Secretary of the State of
New Jersey.  I don't know if anyone else received the letter--I always put
my mailing address on faxes so the receiver knows that there is a real live
person on the other end.  So here's the letter (all typos are mine):

I am writing in response to your June 9 letter to Governor Christine Todd
Whitman concerning three ferrets who were euthanized on Monday, June 10.
Unfortunately, the correspondence from you and others on the situation did
not reach me before the procedure was applied.  However I did review the
situation, as I understand it was a distressing one for many people.

I have contacted officials of the New Jersey Department of Health and they
maintain that their final decision was made in an attempt to protect the
best interests of the citizens of our state.  The Department took the
position that the human aspect of the situation deserved a higher priority
than the ferrets.  Although the post-mortem medical reports confirm that the
ferrets did not have rabies, the bitten individual had a legitimate concern
that needed to be appropriately addressed as dictated by court order.

The Department of Health supported the euthanization action only after
seriously considering many factors.  Please be assured that this
Administration is sympathetic to your cause and will evaluate the procedures
used by other states, which you have suggested as alternatives to
euthanization.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Sincerely

Lonna R. Hooks
Secretary of State
------
Just thought you all might be interested,

Laura Ellis