Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 04:42:25 -0700
I had a very ill ferret who needed to be helped over the bridge. It was
after hours and we had to use the emergency clinic. We had used this
clinic in the past they do not allow people back with their ferret when
they do this. The clinic had changed administration but I just happened
to ask about how they do the euthanasia (I thought already knew but for
some reason asked anyway). With the new administration they had changed
how they do Euthanasia. They used to put the ferret to sleep with
anesthesia then do a heart stick, now they just did the heart stick. I
couldn't believe it, I made sure we that was all they did and then told
them they were not touching my friend. We drove over an hour to get to
another (very expensive clinic) that had a 24 hour ferret vet and would
help our ferret over the bridge humanely. I could not and would not
allow the last minutes of my ferret's life to be an attack where they
were held down while they stabbed his heart. We complained to our vet
about this clinic and he said he knew the vet who ran it and he would
talk to him and he was sure he would make the appropriate changes.
Even if they did I will never ever take a ferret or any animal to that
clinic again. I'd rather drive over an hour to get to a clinic that I
know will take good care of my ferrets. I have never seen the belly
stick and I will as my vet about it. We have several older ferrets 2
at 7+, 2 at 6+ and one at about 5 so I know its just a matter of time
before we are faced with losing one of our ferrets again and I want to
be prepared.

I believe when it comes to helping ferrets over the bridge the most
peaceful way for the ferret is the best, and the belly shot seems like
the best to me.

Have a nice day

Mike