Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:17:58 -0400
This is cross posted from another list.  Please feel free to distribute
this message in its entirety along with my email.

--- In [log in to unmask], "mr2_94turbo"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

First, I'd like to thank Kris for allowing me to join this forum and to
make sure that Ferrets-n-Limbo gets good information out there about the
situation here in Florida.

For those of you who do not know me, I have been active in the ferret
community since 1994, was formerly associated with Brevard Ferret Lovers
Rescue, worked with Marie Wallace on obtaining a law accepting rabies
vaccinations for ferrets in Florida, and have participated in many
multi-group rescues in the past.  I have not been as visible in the past
few years as my life situation changed (divorce) and preferred to work
more in the background.

Enough about me.  I'd like to get to the point of this email.

Yes, there is a large rescue in progress in Central Florida.  Michelle
Alverson of Ferrets-n-Limbo has stepped up to the plate and is
coordinating all of the various details that is required in a rescue such
as this.  The plan is for the volunteers that will help catalog, load,
and perform the initial triage, to meet at Michelle's house on Saturday
morning.  From there, the caravan will drive over to the coast and will
meet up with Marie.  Marie will then take them to Jennifer's house where
the ferrets are located.

Other than Marie, no one has been to the location the ferrets are being
housed at.  No one, including Marie, knows exactly how many ferrets will
be rescued, nor the extent with which these ferrets will have health
issues.  We truly will not know this until the ferrets are picked up.
Any claims otherwise are foolish at this time.

Michelle has prepared for the worst.  She is preparing as if the rescue
will be much larger and the conditions worse than the original estimate
because in her thoughts, it's better to be over prepared than
overwhelmed.

Having participated in many past rescues, large and small, I am impressed
with Michelle and her ability to make this all come together.  She has
been working her tail off to make this happen and lots of good people
have been coming together to give Michelle their time and skills.

Some folks have donated cash or supplies, some will make the drive,
some have made phone calls and brought Michelle into the network that
is necessary for rescues this large, some will show up the day after
to help bathe and clip and further assess.  Dr Kemmerer has volunteered
her services at a reduced cost and has hooked Michelle up with a vet in
Orlando.

Yet there are a few who are taking Michelle to task for the decisions
that she is making even though she has good reasons for what she decides.
They do this based solely upon the fact their her opinion differs from
them.  Then there are others who spread spread misinformation.  These
last two groups of people only detract from the point of what we are
doing here.

We are all involved in this rescue for the ferrets.  We want them to have
a home and have access to medical care and be safe and loved.  We want
them to have the same type of lives that our own personal ferrets have
and deserve.

I ask those that are reading this email, or who may hear something about
the rescue elsewhere, to consider the source before they send the 'fact'
onto someone else.  At this time, Michelle is the only person who should
be posting information about the rescue.  She is the coordinator and she
is the person everyone is talking to, therefore she is the most
knowledgeable about this rescue.

This email is becoming much larger than I had expected so I will wrap it
up for now.  The last bit of information I would like to get out is this.
If anyone wishes to donate money or supplies, I ask that you contact
Michelle directly.  The rescue's website is
http://www.ferrets-n-limbo.org/.
There is a link for PayPal donations and Michelle's email, snail mail,
and phone number on the page.  If you prefer to call, please be
respectful and don't call too late.  Michelle works outside the home
and leaves very early for work.

I am also available for general questions.

Thanks for your time,

For the ferrets!

Susie