From:
Vicky James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:44:06 -0500
Bob J. and family,

With a heavy heart I write to send my condolences and great sorrow at the
loss of Kodo.  He truly was everyone's ferret, we all gathered together to
help and fell in love with him.  I work for a public radio station in Iowa
and had asked our news people today to please show me anything that came in
on Kodo.  I found out at 3:04pm with an AP wire titled "Kodo the ferret
loses battle to live", I knew I didn't need to read any further, but I did.
The news states that the health officials said the vaccination hadn't been
proven 100 percent effective - I thought WHAT?, it's not 100 percent
effective for dogs or cats either.  Can the health officials be held
accountable because they weren't holding the same standard for ferrets that
they do other animals?  Could this be construed as harassment because of the
vengeance that they went after this?  They've taken your beloved pet from
your family which has caused great anguish and caused you to lose your job
and personal possessions due to trying to save a "family member." This
smells of lawsuit to me.  It appears that lawsuits ($$$$$) is the only way
to get the governments attention.  I personally intend to boycott all MI
products and services.  I own a small machine embroidery business and will
not purchase any of my supplies from MI.  Nor will I purchase anything else
that I know or find out comes from MI.  They will not get my money in any
way, fashion, shape or form!!!!

To the FML:  I think Bob C. is right with needing a national organization.
We need a large, good and effective lobby for ferrets.  I know it can be
done, Mr. Walsh succeeded in obtaining a national tracking system for
abducted children because of his tenacity when he lost his son Adam to an
abduction murder.  Can we have any less tenacity?  The NRA has a wonderfully
strong lobby for the right to own and bear arms.  I know we can do it.  I'm
not a strong leader - I nominate Bob J.  - but I would be willing to do what
I could.  We could have dues and donation drives, and if we are non profit
we could do Public Service Announcements on Public Radio and maybe do some
Public TV programs on ferrets to raise awareness.  We could reach new ferret
owners through pet shops and shelters.  There are many possibilities, we
just need to organize and DO IT!  If we all pull together maybe we won't
have to have any more martyrs like Kodo.

Vicky
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferret1/
Families are Forever