From:
jeffrey hopko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:00:08 -0800
I have used and depended upon BC's Soup recipe to lengthen the quality
of life of several challenged ferrets.  I have also personalized it
somewhat.

Thaw a game hen, and slow cook to fall-apart consistency on the stove
top with sufficient water to avoid any burning.  Having then a smaller
quantity of bird, add approx.1/2 the remaining standard ingredients and
blend.  This does w/o the raw-meat grinding of the std.  recipe.  I find
this Much Easier, both in terms of blender thrash ($20 B&D) and it gives
managable fresh portion sizes.  Bag as suggested, reserve one as fresh,
freeze the remainder.

With thankfully only one compromised ferret, this amount lasts approx. 3
weeks with Clyde.  He takes a 3cc syringe teaser or so to 'warm up' to
remembering what to do, then will eat from a dish on his own for a bit.

Being the ever concerned Daddy, I have seen to it that he consumes
approx.one std. baby food jar (70-ish ML: 70-80% Soup + 30-20%
electroylte/water) per day since his diarrhoea episode in early Jan.  To
meet this figure he must still rely upon syringe feeding, although the
last two days he has been absolutely leaning into it and has eaten record
amounts.

Clyde has regained much of his prior activity and ferrets around quite
well thank you v. much, but still lags far behind (always did...) the
bonkers Bonnie who lights up like a bottle rocket at the slightest...

Clyde has reclaimed mass, and will soon hover at 1KG, although still
being slinky with it like a young MFglandular removal victim.  What a
Farm, still love the animals tho...

Missing those playing at the Bridge: Miss Katt, Susie, Rocky, Calvin,
Snowy, Starr, and Hobbes.
Caring deeply for Clyde; keeping Bonnie entertained.