From:
Eleanor Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 01:17:49 -0400
I have ferrets with kidney problems (older ferrets with kidney problems-
start of kidney failure).  I have put them on Hills Feline KD diet which
you have to get from your vet.  It comes in cans and kibble.  I usually
take 1 cup of kibble and add 1 cup of water to soften it and let it soak
overnight.  The next morning I put it in a blender and add a can of the
HIlls Feline KD canned chicken chunks (they like this not the plain
canned KD) and blend it well till like a chowder.  I give this to my
ferrets with kidney problems and add a little bit of Gerbers stage 2
turkey baby food (tsp) 4 times a day - they get about 3 TBS 4 x daily
with their pred or whatever medications they are on.  EVERYONE'S kidney's
values HAVE IMPROVED !!!!  Please try it.  You will need to warm the
servings before feeding them.  You may also have to finger feed to get
them used to it.  Or you may have to mix what they are on now slowly to
this new formula.  It has helped my kids!  I have one guy who was
diagnosed with kidney failure almost a year ago and his values did
improve after this diet ( his urine was clear at one point ) and now his
values are still pretty much the same!  After all he is almost 9 years
old!  He will be in January!  I have 4 ferrets on this mix.  3 have Bobs
chicken gravy, just a tiny bit mixed in with it for extra vitamins after
I weaned them off of the chicken gravy and onto the kd.

I add a little more water to the soup before heating it up so it is not
thick but not real watery either.  When I fed them at 6 tonight, I
realized they get about 2 Tablespoons if even of food at a time, it
depends on the ferret and their individual appetite.  Some get fed 3 x
daily and others 4 x daily, depends on medications they are on and if
they have insolinoma.  There is so much water in their soup that they do
not really need any extra water.  I rarely see them drink water also.
That is why I add water to their soup.  I am glad Ruby is doing better.

My old guy Winter who is almost 9 also has colitis so he is on a mix of
Feline KD and Hills Feline WD which is high Fiber, I believe, for his
colitis (just in case you should ever have a ferret with colitis).  Good
luck and I am sure Ruby will do just fine in your care.

p.s= my vet suggested the feline KD and feline KD for the ferrets and
it comes in kibble and canned, available only at your vets.

Eleanor, Donald and the 9 fuzzies, missing Sarah and Cooper J

Eleanor Mead

[P.P.S.]
forgot to let you know to always keep refrigerated once water is added
to kibble to be soaked overnight and of course after it has been mixed.
This mixture stays good for up to five days once mixed in containers in
refrigerator.