From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:15:48 -0600
Hi y'all,

I have been catching up on the posts about this.  I would like to point
out something about the debate.

It is ironic that at least two of the folks being quoted on this subject
are definitely not in any manner experts.  They both post here with great
authority but also try to act humble.  Well at least one of them tries to
act humble.

For me it is a logic issue.  I understand, from both reading veterinary
nutritional texts, from some very basic classes on both genetics and
biology, and from one really fabulous vet I once had who worked with
Texas A&M on genetics and breeding interspecies, a lot about feeding.

I know that while dogs can eat off meat, they rarely get sick from it
(gads I once had a white trash neighbor that would feed his dog all the
off food from his fridge).  I also don't think it is a good idea either.

I know that zoos regularly feed their obligate carnivores raw meat.  They
also supplement it.

I have read, in articles by actual experts, that a lot of the food born
illnesses we get do not plague animals.

When I first had ferrets, you couldn't get ferret food where I lived.  So
they started out on **gasp** **choke** Science Diet.  Lol.  They lived to
be like 8-10 years old, eating raisins, kibble and treats of anything I
ate (baring chunky veggies).  Some of them even ate raw hamburger!!!  I
grew up eating raw/rare meat so I figured why not?

Yes folks, I grew up eating steak tartare, and steaks so rare they are
honestly not quite cooked.  A real rare steak is really uncooked in the
middle.  I, as a human built for long digestive processes, have never had
trouble with any food born problems except for food poisoning from milk
products, and from restaurant food.  Never from anything cooked at home,
even eaten raw.  And lord knows I have never had a strong immune system.
Ever.

Blessings,
Margie