From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 21:33:07 -0400
I feel that I should warn those that may be attending the Ohio Show this
weekend.  There is an exhibitor showing that has been exposed to (and may
have had an outbreak) of Canine distemper and is still not only attending
but showing their ferrets and selling their products.

This to me is not only wrong, but a danger to other ferrets.  CDV is a
highly contagious disease that kills ferrets.  A person in NJ has already
had to humanely put down %# ferrets because of this exposure.

Please - if you are attending this show - take all precautions.  Don't
handle anyone else's ferrets - and if you do, disinfect in between (purell
is not enough).  When you get home, strip and bag all of your clothes.
Disrobe if you can outside of your home, including your shoes.  Disinfect
these clothes and change into new before entering your home.  If you have
ferrets attending the show, don't allow anyone other than the judges to
handle them.  Disinfect the bedding and carriers before entering your
home.  Canine distemper may not be 100% fatal, but the ferrets that
survive are horribly damaged.

This may sound a little extreme but since the person in question is not
ethical enough to bow out of the show, these types of precautions are
necessary to protect the other ferrets in the show hall.  It seems that
the possibility of a ribbon or trophy is more important then the welfare
of other ferrets and that is a damn shame.

[JF]

[Moderator's note: Whether or not there is any truth to this rumour, it's
good advice to take precautions when attending ANY event where there will
be unknown ferrets.  BIG]