From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 12:04:29 -0400
Re: Nose Flicking/hitting/thumping/ect
>You definition of lightly might be different than mine.  If you tell me to
>nose flick and I do it too hard because I don't know any better, well, you
>are just as responsible for my ferret's injury as I would be.  If not more.

>I know that what you type here is just words, but you are responsible for
>every bit of advice you post!  Words CAN hurt!  A tap, thump, flick, hit
>are all subjective terms and unless you can physically define them by
>example, you have no business recommending them.

I don't think I have disagreed with something posted to the FML as much as
I disagree with these comments in a VERY long time.

Unless you have some sort of mental infirmity which makes it impossible for
you to make rational and thought out decisions, NO ONE is responsible for
the actions you take EXCEPT YOU!  It is your responsibility to judge the
advice given and to seek additional information as needed before taking
action.  If you act upon advice in a foolhardy fashion, it is not the
advice giver's fault.  It is yours.

At the heart of the FML, besides the cute stories and the sharing of
experiences, is advice.  With the possible exceptions of special issues,
I doubt you will find ONE FML that does not contain some pearl of advice
from one poster to another.  I've been here since '94 and I'd have to say
the quality of advice I've seen is generally excellent.  There has been
some bad advice, IMHO, but it is often corrected by others and it comes
with the territory.

I think it is far more damaging to the FML and its readership if paranoia
and the reticence to help becomes the prevailing mode of operation.  Yes,
by all means, check your facts before offering advice, but don't become so
paranoid about what somebody may foolishly do with advice that you refuse
to help.  The advice here has saved ferret lives.

-kim, pippi (gimmee a raisin!), atlas (huh?), jinx (me too?), and rosie
 (zoom!)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.