From:
Gary Kaskel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 14:31:19 -0500
Regina Harrison asked about how the drug Lasix, which is used in racing
horses to reduce bleeding, is used for ferrets.  I'm not a vet, but I had a
recent experience with Lasix (brand name Furosemide) that ferret-owners
should know about.

Minnie, my 6-1/4 year old who was suffering from liver and kidney
deterioration and an enlarged heart, was prescribed Lasix to reduce the
fluid on her heart.  The vet described Lasix as a diuretic with no side
effects that would cause an increase in drinking and urination, and reduce
the heart fluid within a few days.

After just two days on Furosemide (0.1cc twice a day), Minnie became
extremely lethargic and the next day she died.  Part of the problem was that
I was not warned that Lasix can cause dehydration if the dosage isn't
monitored carefully.  While she was indeed a sick ferret, I feel that she
died so quickly because of the Lasix-induced dehydration which I was never
warned about watching for the signs of.

I am told that Lasix has been successfully used in ferrets as a diuretic
many thousands of times, and I'm sure it has great value under the right
conditions.  Just be advised that no drug is completely benign and
dehydration is a serious side-effect with Lasix that must be carefully
monitored.  I learned it the hard way.

R.I.P. Minnie (1989-1996).  My Christmas present from Wendy Winsted...and my
first ferret.

Gary Kaskel
Big Apple Ferrets