From:
"Thomas W. Kemper, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 1997 13:30:46 -0700
Christina,
Bang those pan baby!!  We the uheard masses don't care if you make a mistake
once and awhile while conducting a segment of the show.  In fact I LIKE my
cake a little chewy.  Seriously, I just want to tell you how much I
appreciate your show, its quality and sense of family.  I know it's a job,
but you and Michael do it so well.  I have a job that allows me to see you
often, and I truly enjoy all that you do.  I have one request, however.
Knowing how you all feel about companion pets, I'd love you to do a show
sometime on them and the place they all occupy in those of our lives who've
been lucky enough to have been adopted by a pet.  I know they're not
children, but that doesn't keep them from being important to me and my wife,
now that ours are grown.  You'll be interested to know that as I write this
there is a bill before the California legislature to legalize ferret
ownership in the state of California.  AB 363 has been fought through the
committee process, and is ready to go to the floor of the house.  California
is one of only 2 states in which it is illegal to own these wonderful
companions.  They live in cages, are spayed and neutered to prevent unwanted
ones from being brought into the world, have been domesticated for over
2,000 years, and can no longer survive in the wild.  They make absolutely no
noise, if you discount the cute "dooking" sound they make when playing with
one another, use the litter box, and bring such joy as to be almost
undescribable.  How else do you think they'd get me, a 50 year old man with
2 grown children to write to you.  In fact, I'm being held at ferretpoint by
Major Burns and Scooter (better known as the Dook of Earl), as I write this.
I'll have to bribe them with a raisin to get them to let me go back to work.

In summary, let me say I know this has been long, but their case is so
important to over 500,000 "criminal" ferret owners in California, and I feel
a good word from Home & Family could only help our cause.  If you'd like
more information, you can log onto the Ferret Mailing list at
[log in to unmask] and get more than you can handle.  How about it?
Care to give the ferret cause in California a helping hand.  We'd love you
that more for it.

Warmest regards,
Thomas W. "Tuck" Kemper, Jr.
Longview, Texas