Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:54:25 EDT
My thanks for all of those who shared with me the injury or accidental
death of your deaf ferret.  It is difficult enough when they can hear to
keep from accidentally harming silly widgets who insist on running under
your foot or between your legs.

For those of you who lost a deaf ferret-please believe me- I understand
completely.  Many is the time I have been in tears, unable to find one of
my deaf ferrets anywhere.  Remember to have a flashlight on hand to see in
all the dark corners, and pull out drawers completely, and open all the
closet doors to do a thorough search.

Sometimes warming up Bob C. soup and carrying a steaming bowl around the
house will draw out a deaf one.  Meanwhile the fear and tension grow.
Little has been lost for over 24 hours at least a dozen times.  He has
insulinoma and must have his medication to function.

I leave all drawers and doors open and stinky chicken ferret treats out for
him.  I have torn up and sawed through furniture to get to him

Thank you Wolfy for the valuable info on deaf ferrets, and a big thanks
also to Amy.  The big name ferret mill where the ferrets come from around
here sells to almost all the stores I visit.  So the percentage of their
deaf ferrets in this area would be much greater than the numbers you came
up with.  But what I learned of great value from your study is that a brown
ferret can be deaf.  Sorry-call me stupid.  I test the little ferrets for
deafness when I make the rounds to the pet stores.  I never tested a brown
ferret.  I had NO IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My two deaf beauties are in the drawer beneath me lying on their backs
looking up at me adorably..  Sunny was in there with Chewy last night and
closed the drawer on himself.  My birthday gift this morning was cleaning
out the drawer.  Not nearly as adorable.

Someone who makes our FML family VERY special is going into the hospital
this Friday.  Picture a selfless person who genuinely feels the pain of
your ferrets death, though you have never met her or written to her.  She
will write to you a sincere note and maybe send a heart warming card via
e-mail.  Picture someone who will write to one of us whenever she can be
of assistance: someone who has adopted a number of ferrets from this list.

Please say a prayer that her crippling pain will be relieved at least a
little by this surgery.  She is a beautiful part of what makes this group
so special

Prayers to all of you with sick babies, and to those that have passed.  I
firmly believe our little ones are in heaven.  But I still have my breath
knocked out at certain moments that zing home the fact my beloved threesome
are dead.

Lisette