From:
Kim Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 12:46:26 -0600
I'm SURE this is a topic of sufficiently general interest to appeal to the
general readership of the FML.  I have taken ferts backpacking and car
camping, and recently returned from a week on the road with three ferts and
a (long-suffering) dog.  Here are some thoughts:

1.  My ferts told me they actually preferred life at home, because the joint
is ferret-proofed and they can run their little legs off, without the
hindrance of leashes.  So, you need to think about how you will make sure
your ferts actually enjoy camping.

2. ABSOLUTELY do take cages.  There will be times when you need to be sure
the ferts are safely put away while you concentrate on something else (for
a change).

3.  When I find a good place to let the ferts run around leashless, here's
what I do.  I take a lightweight piece of cord and tie something very
brightly colored to the end of it (e.g., orange flagging or fabric), then
tie the other end to the ferret's harness (always a harness, never a collar,
which comes off too darn quickly).  Then I let one or two ferts thus attired
explore to their hearts' content while I watch.  With the flag attached, I
never lose track of them, and if one starts to take off, the movement of the
flag alerts me.  Also, you can (maybe) stop a fert on its way under a fence
or down a gopher hole by stomping on the cord.  This is the best way I've
found to make sure the ferts have as much fun camping as I do.  (I should
mention that I never seen a ferret that couldn't squeeze out of a harness
eventually, sometimes with drastic consequences, so always pay attention.)

4.  I am currently sleeping in a tent in my front yard, because the weather
is nice and I prefer the fresh air and waking up to the sound of birds.  I
usually take a fert outside to sleep with me.  This works great (keeps the
toes nice and warm), given that: a) I normally sleep with ferts, so we're
used to being in each others' beds; b) the fert I take outside is already
worn out for the evening and ready to sleep; and c) it's not a fert that
likes to dig at carpet, because if it is, it will surely go to work on the
mosquito netting, if not the floor.  If you can't satisfy these conditions,
a cage will be most useful.

5.  Everything Kymberlie said about having the supplies to deal with any
emergencies along applies here.  And as a member in good standing of the
Kodo Kommandos (you are, right?), be sure your ferts are vaccinated and that
you have PROOF with you.

-- Kim and the Kamping Kritter Korps

PS Keep 'em cool.  My ferts have camped happily in sub-freezing temperatures
with snug sleeping bags, but from the heat they have no escape.

PPS Have you written your letter to the editor today?