From:
Melissa Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:40:32 -0700
While visiting our local mall, we decided to visit the pet store there to
pick up an item for our two carpet sharks, spoiled things that they are. ;)

What I saw there astounded me.  Now, I know that small cages in a room
with plexiglass windows is standard for such small places, but there was
a collie pup- and I use 'pup' loosely..  he was a /big/ pup- in one of
these little cells that could barely turn around.  I have noticed that
they don't seem to have any food in their bowls during the day, and my
theory is that it's because the animals would then have to 'go'.  They
have nowhere else to go but in their cages.  This would make them look
messy and, thus, keep their profits down.  Sick?  Yes.

Then I saw the ferrets.  Those octagonal enclosures at Petco looked good
compared to this thing (I have to insert that our local Petco is a very
well run place where the animals are played with, given toys, and enough
food to keep them healthy).  The lid 'locked' on via those hook and eye
locks..  only, they were unlatched!  Not only that, but the lid was
pushed aside just enough for a little ferret head to push through, and
this thing was pretty high up off of the floor.

Three little bowls, about the size one would give a hamster were there,
and not a crumb in them at all.  Nothing.  The only thing that /had/ been
kept full was the water bottle, and I'm not even going to speculate as to
how often the water is changed, because it would be speculation.

Not only were the conditions bad and the wood chips not enough to cover
the bottom of this (approx) 1 foot high enclosure, but there was a nearly
mature ferret in with the kits.  This sable baby displayed some rather,
for lack of a better word, pathetic behavior.  He smelled food on my
hands and nearly went crazy trying to find the source of the smell.  His
midsection appeared to be plump, but was a bit hard to the touch, but his
hips and shoulders felt quite emmaciated.

Now, I don't know if it's malnutrition, so I can't make the call for
certain, but the other conditions were enough to make me angry.  I also
noticed that the gumline around his canines was a bit red and puffy,
which could be some cause for concern.

Now, before I mention name and location, please know that these are my
own observations and we have only had our ferrets since April/May.  I'm
not a vet, I'm not an expert on quality of life, I can only say that I
would not want to put a human in such conditions, so it would follow that
I would hate to see an animal held this way.

The little mall pet store I'm referring to is Family Pet Centers in a
local mall in Manchester, CT.  Now, I don't know if this is a chain or
not, but the name implies it.

We're still discussing whether or not it would be ethical to rescue this
sable, as it would put money into the pockets of the store.  On the other
hand, it would raise his quality of life considerably, and I'm also not
quite sure what they do with the animals who don't sell.  I've never seen
a 'mature' puppy/kitten (Nearing adulthood) in their shop, but can't say
that this is because of turnover or because they simply send them off
somewhere once they reach a certain age.

So, the point of the post..  would it be 'right' to purchase this sable
and try to see that he's being taken care of, or not?  I know that the
common advice is to adopt from a shelter, and that I'll have to make my
own decision in the end, but getting general opinions might help me make
a decision I can be happy with.