From:
Maggie Mae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:17:15 EDT
>What are Evolution 101 students using these days?

Well, I can suggest a couple, although my knowledge is limited to only
around 30 hours of anthro and biology.  Not enough for the anthro snobs on
this list, but I can actually read something besides science books too.  ;-)

My sexual evolution class (reproduction is the main theme with the theory
of natural selection) used either of these texts.  The first is more
general reading, the second slightly more scientific.  Neither presumes a
background in biology or in anthropology.  In other words, most folks.

_The Red Queen_ by Matt Ridley  (Peguin Books)

_Sex, Evolution, and Behavior_ by Martin Daly and Margo Wilson (Wadsworth
Publishing)

They both deal with the theories of evolution in many different organisms,
including mammals.

My two cents here: it may not be apparent by the posts here, but not all
anthropologists accept the theory of natural selection, and many who do,
don't take it to the same degrees.  I had one prof laughing at how anal
some of the Darwinists get sometimes.  I always thought that was funny.

Maggie