From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:20:51 -0500
Okay, this is not enough data to constitute proof for our house ferrets
(which is why it wasn't sufficient for the USDA) but it is *highly*
reassuring.  Pam Sessoms, whose memory surpasses mine, found it and
posted as the third post in:

She references:
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/viewdiscussion.cfm?gid=1423922
&messageid=16935
which has the abstract.

I so LOVE getting hard data that builds on the knowledge base!  New
hard data is why good information is always in flux and one reason
why choices can change for *anyone*, so it pays to not cast one's
health choices in concrete.  Personal experience is another thing
that affects choices, and those, too, can alter over time for anyone.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG1406

Pam writes in part:
>The full-text of the article about the study appears to be freely
>available. If you'd like it, you can go here:

> http://highwire.stanford.edu/

>and search the "anywhere in the text" field for:

> vaccination of black-footed ferrets

>The article should be the first hit (the one from Journal of Wildlife
>Diseases from 1996).  The PDF for the full article is available.

Really COOL!

So, a third thank you today!  This one goes to Pam!

********** NOTE **********
Since my post was written it has turned out that the wildlife study in
was NOT Galaxy.  It was Fromm-D.  That is not the same vaccine because
the cell lines was changed which can alter vaccines' performance (which
is why other Fromm-D studies were not acceptable for the USDA to consider
generalizing to the Galaxy vaccine).  Too bad.

Oh, well, at least maybe we know now why some people thought there was
another study but no one could not locate it despite many searches by
many people.  (Insert sad sigh in your reading.)

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/