From:
Michele Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 16:59:50 -0400
Hi all, and dooks to the fuzzies from the gang here!  Sorry I have been off
the list for a week but just had a really hectic week, my upstairs neighbor
is staying with us for a month, and I've been trying to ride and find a
horse to lease up here in Mass.  too.  I've finally caught up on all the
reading, and am really glad to see everyone and their fuzzies doing well
this week.

Lissette, Cheyenne has such a heartwarming story to his life!  There is
nothing better than seeing a ferret blossom after learning NOT to trust
people, then loving us two-leggeds again.  It almost sounds, and I hate to
say this, adrenal again....aggression towards people and hormonal things
coming back.  If so it's early symptoms that you've caught, and I'm
assuming he still has his left adrenal.  Good luck with any other advice,
I hope I'm really wrong here.

Lian, congrats on rescuing the three fleababies!  Sometimes, fleas tend to
congregate to an animal that is in someway stressed or ill, perhaps this
guys' energy is so sapped by some underlying thing that the fleas were more
attracted to him than the other two.  Good luck with your vet visit, and be
sure to mention that to the vet.  Also, be careful about using more than
one flea product at a time, it sound like the ones you choosed should each
work, and sometimes mixing them can cause skin irritations or a reaction.
You could also get some Advantage or other prescription product form your
vet for future rescues, one dose does them in.  Be sure to thoroughly clean
their bedding and cage once all the fleas drop off to get rid of eggs too.

LauraLou, welcome!  I too love Pets..part of the family!  It's nice to read
just about stories instead of all the breed profile and care magazines out
there...I think that's why I like MF so much too!  That was a very good
article about a ferret...way to go Sosha!!!!

Don, I think your little guy just really likes the fresh meat!!  There's no
harm in it...just be sure to stay away from really high fat things... (like
liverwurst<G>) and stick with leaner cuts....I sure wish I could get my
guys to eat some fresh stuff but because I didn't have them from the time
they were young-uns and impressionable...no such luck!  One of my guys
won't even eat raisins or cheerios:(

Tim, sounds like your kinda at the end of your rope with your guys....sorry
to hear it.  You might want to look at your management...keep cage with
enough room for food bowl, water bottle, litter box(might want to not clean
this "completely" as then they think it's a sandbox) and bedding.  Secure
ALL of these things to the cage somehow.  Also, try to make sure they get
out-time daily, this is really important to wear there butts out.  There
have been some really good posts on here lately about how to 'fit' that
time in, check back issues.  And good luck..oops almost forgot- with the
biting, spray your hands heavily with bitter apple and put her in a
situation where she would normally bite, at the same time she gets the
taste in her mouth, say "NO BITE".  Ferrets are extemely smart and she will
learn what this means and you won't have to use it after awhile.  Set the
situation for learning just like you would do with any other trick...when
she goes to play bite and you say "NO BITE!" and she stops...have that
treat ready!!!!  Good luck, hope this helps...

Michele & the 7 woozles
(Nick says: "Yeah, that didn't work with ME Mom...now you pull my whisker!
Ouch, OK I'll stop)