From:
Kathleen Cheeseman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 12:32:04 EDT
I am sorry I did not get this posted sooner, my grandfather passed over
the rainbow bridge and I am very behind.

Please do not feed this material to yourselves or your ferrets unless you
have assurance from the manufacturer of the material that it is food grade.
Since it is marketed and sold as a packing material and not for human or
animal consumption, *I* would assume that it is NOT food grade starch.

This means the following, no limitations on pesitiside residues and no
limitations on filth among other possible problems.

I bring this you your attention becuase it never would have occured to me
before I started working for FDA that there was a difference.  BTW don't
store food in garbage bags, especially if they are recycled.  Same problems
with the addition of unapproved colorants, plastics, leftover contamination,
etc.

Let your fuzzies play with stuff you know is safe.

Kathleen Cheeseman
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
Food and Drug Administration